11 Steps to Hiring the Best TalentTuesday, October 30th, 2018
Joe Polish said in a recent email, "Hire bad-ass, smart, effective people early on versus half-assed people who aren’t players. This will make a huge difference."
- 1. Change your thinking about hiring. For most, we spend too little time recruiting and hiring… even though we know that people are what make up our businesses.
- 2. Put yourself and your business in the right light.Not sure how you’re being perceived in the marketplace? Download this free self-assessment tool and score yourself.
- 3. Craft your compelling story. You had reasons for starting your business. You reasons that your business is different than others. Make sure you tell the story.
- 4. Understand exactly what you are looking for.Too often we get sidetracked during the hiring process. Stay tight to get the best person for the job.
- 5. Networking across your sphere of influence is 100X better than posting help wanted ads.
- 6. The resume is the key to uncovering the truth.On the resume is a story, some truthful, some exaggerated, some incomplete, and maybe some fabricated. Uncovering it all is how you learn about someone.
- 7. Phone screen to maximize your time and effort.Give homework to screen out the disinterested.
- 8. In the 1st interview ask questions that uncover if the candidate can do the work.
- 9. In the 2nd interview ask questions to uncover if the candidate wants to do the work.
- 10. Have your key people on the 3rd interview.This will eliminate your biases.
- 11. Of course, do the background and reference checks.
If you’re looking for more help on:
- What questions to say on the phone screening?
- What to say in each of the three interviews?
- What homework to assign?
- What are the best ways to recruit candidates?
- What am I looking for on the resume?
Then you’re in luck! The School of Entrepreneurship now offers the Hire Higher Recruiting Program as a standalone tool for you to get the best people. Get it here.
Included in the HireHigher Program is a 142-page eBook, 27 videos with creator Larry Janesky learning the program right along with you, 3 Recruiting Cards and 6 Candidate Folders (hard copies mailed to you upon purchase, plus PDF digital copies immediately available).